Friday, July 27, 2012

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition. Awards become corroded, friends gather no dust."

Well, I just finished watching the opening ceremonies for the Olympics and I thought they were amazing! It was very enjoyable to watch how the ceremony transitioned from the past into today.  I especially enjoyed the music segment.  It was interesting to find that so many musicians that we listen to in the United States are from England! Furthermore, I would like to point out that fashion in the 70s for England was like the equivalent of fashion in the 80s for America.

I think the best thing about the Olympics is that they bring together countries all over the world to demonstrate to the greatest extent the athletic prowess of the human body.  It is a time of peace where these countries engage in friendly competition.  The quote for this post states the significance of the Olympics more eloquently than I ever could.

Today, I took my sister and her friend to Wild Water Kingdom.  I think I am good on exercise for the rest of the week! We had to walk up a never ending flight of stairs to get to the top of the body slides. They were probably about 100 feet in the air.  We also went in the wave pool (which I didn't particularly like all that much). The girls really enjoyed it; however, they also had life jackets on. Meanwhile, here I am trying to stay above the water but instead, I got jostled around by the waves. It was very exhausting! It occurred to me, after watching the Olympic games, that what I had to do today pales in comparison to the limits these athletes push themselves to.  This revelation gave me a new respect for olympic athletes. They train their bodies to the greatest extent possible and are the best in their sport. I don't think I could EVER push my bodies the same way they do.

So next time you are exercising and find yourself grunting and complaining over the physical effort, just think about what olympic athletes expose themselves to in order to compete against other olympiads.

Quote by Jesse Owens, 4 time Olympic gold metalist in track and field

No comments:

Share your thoughts, dreams, suggestions, whatever you want!